Summary in English
We are a nongovernmental nonprofit organization (NNO) with a regular staff of 12, many contributors and 150 voluntary workers.
We started in 2000 and our mission is to assist and support people with sight defects in the pursuit of fully fledged life opportunities and to combine their world with the world of non-handicapped people through a network of social, voluntary, educational, cultural and public awareness projects.
Okamžik’s principal projects comprise the following:
• One-off assistance to the blind to help them cope with everyday chores
• Long-term interaction between the client and the volunteer
• Permanent interaction with over 150 trained and professionally guided volunteers
• Longest-working biggest project to engage volunteers in helping the blind in the Czech Republic
• Expert social consultancies
• Discussion groups for the blind
• Training and seminars for companies and public institutions
• Our website: www.nevidomimezinami.cz
ASSISTANCE TO SIGHT-IMPAIRED CHILDREN – “See through your eyes” project
• Scheduled escorts for children aged 7-25
• Helping families to raise blind children
• Professionally trained young assistants
ARTS AND CULTURE
• Creative workshops and exhibitions of art by blind artists
• Publication of educative books, fiction and art catalogues
HMATELIÉR – TOUCH AND SCULPT
• Clay art workshop with special techniques for the blind
• Public workshops
• Making and selling original clay ceramics
Okamžik and the Czech environment
Tens of thousands NNOs are registered in the Czech Republic. Thousands of them receive grants from public, foundation-based and corporate resources, but only few of them target people with impaired vision.
Okamžik is a member of two associations active in the social sphere.
People in Okamžik
Vít Liška, director, statutory representative
Radek Seifert – blind chairman of the board
David Lobpreis OPERATIONS AND FINANCIAL MANAGER
Marie Matějů PUBLIC RELATIONS AND FUNDRAISING
Marie Hůrková VOLUNTEER CENTRE FOR HELP TO THE BLIND
Jana Vondráčková ADVISORY CENTRE
Šárka Vojtíšková PERSONAL ASSISTANCE TO CHILDREN WITH IMPAIRED SIGHT
and HMATELIÉR – pottery workshop for the blind
Pavla Vaňková ARTS AND CULTURE PROJECTS
We present ourselves several times every year on one of the TV channels in the Czech Republic; we have presentations in the daily press, popular and specialist periodicals and mainly on the radio. We spread information about our projects through various informative websites. Annual reports are published for every year.
Okamžik has scored high by being accessory to the introduction to the Czech Republic of a brand-new model of personal assistance, where professionally trained volunteers help the blind. We were the first in the Czech Republic to launch a project like this and judging from the sheer number of clients and volunteers, this must be the biggest such project in this country.
Our books have been repeatedly rewarded in the Czech government’s project for the handicapped, for the promotion of our issues.
Our volunteers have scored six awards in the “Křesadlo” (Flintstone) contest as one of ten selected volunteer workers in Prague.
The costs of operating our association have long oscillated around CZK 5000000 per annum; with the main sources of funding specified as government ministries, local government authorities and many leading endowments, together with corporate and private donors. See more on http://www.okamzik.cz/main/okamzik/Sponzori/index.html
How to interact and help the good thing
- Offering to share ample experience with voluntary work for the blind;
- Working to provide opportunities for art exhibitions by Czech blind artists;
- Looking for feedbacks on the blind issues;
- Looking for foreign publishers of our unconventional books on living with a handicap;
- Looking for partners for projects depending on international cooperation;
- Welcome to material or financial support. The account number is 6304005/2700.
telephone number: 233 379 196
address: Na Strži 1683/40, 140 00 Praha 4 Česká republika
See more on http://www.okamzik.cz/main/okamzik/Kontakty/index.html